Thursday, 28 February 2013

Turn that radio off.

In this day and age, it's so easy for us to keep occupied (or distracted).

Waiting is almost synonymous with checking your emails, Facebook or playing a game. With the advent of smartphones, we're now almost always connected to the world - plugged in.

I've noticed this for myself. Whenever I'm sitting down for a meal on my own I turn on YouTube or when I'm waiting for something I grab my phone. When I'm in the car I've got the radio on. There's always something occupying my attention.

It's not a surprise then that a lot of my best ideas come when I'm having a shower. I'm not occupied, it's an automated action now and my brain is free to create.

There's a lot of brain time that could be put to better use.

People say to me, "there's no way I could drive the two hours you do everyday in Auckland traffic". It's not a problem for me. I turn the radio off, sit in traffic and I get two hours a day of thinking time. I actually think it's a great use of my time!

I've taken on catching myself when I feel the urge to distract myself. It's actually amazing how attached I am to having the radio on. My brain must be a scary place.

So when I catch myself, I ask the question, "is this how I want to use my attention?"

No comments:

Post a Comment