I would've thought email done to death.
Clearly not for the team that created the Mailbox App. Originally a team that was creating a to do list management app called Orchestra, they pivoted when they found they were doing more for email than they were to do lists.
I've not really had any issue with my email client - Gmail - nor have I had much of an issue with my mobile mail client. I simply use the iOS standard email client and it does what I need.
Mailbox though has somehow managed to carve out a massive user base in an incredibly short amount of time for what seems to be a relatively simple product! They've passed the tipping point and they've got a waiting list that is around 600,000 users long (and they get through around 50,000 users a day it seems).
The point I'm making here is that opportunities are absolutely everywhere. Honestly, I would've never thought that there was an opportunity in ANOTHER mail client.
It looks like they've made some great fundamental usability improvements and kept things simple - a good formula. I'm yet to try it as I'm 422,000ish in line but I'm looking forward to it.
Oh, did I mention that they launched in February this year and they've just sold for an estimated $100 million?
You don't need to look too far to be innovative.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/03/15/dropbox-buys-mailbox-an-app-with-some-buzz/
http://www.mailboxapp.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment