I'm having an identity crisis. I'm trying to label the type of marketer that I am so that I can focus in one area.
I can be a soccer player but you're not just the best soccer player. When you're putting together a team, you're picking the best forward, midfielder and defender. Each position has its special skills and training.
The first problem I have is that marketing disciplines aren't really that well defined. Digital marketing is all encompassing. Content marketers in theory will also be video marketing and viral marketing. Social media marketers should also be grounded in customer service strategy.
So perhaps I shouldn't be trying to label myself but first look at what I enjoy doing.
There are a few things that really stand out for me when it comes to marketing.
- innovating and standing out
- building relationships
- creating memorable experiences
- being creative
- creating experiences that involve all the senses
- building brands
- delighting people and putting smiles on faces
What I don't enjoy is:
- repetitive marketing strategies (me too strategies)
- marketing that's solely focused on capturing leads and sales (rather than building communities and delighting customers)
- old fashioned mass advertising vs smart marketing
Perhaps I want to be an experiential marketer? That shoe seems to fit the best so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment