Friday, 12 October 2012

The value of an experience and story

Lisa my fiancee is in Canada at the moment and she rung me up excitedly.

"I just made my first spend in Canada and it wasn't for me! I'm still giggling!"

"What was it?"

"I've just been to this amazing store where I made a teddy bear for my flower girl!"

She had just been to "Build-A-Bear Workshop" at Niagara Falls and here's a picture of it.


Incredible. There's a whole process that goes into building the bear and it's amazing what a difference this experience adds to an industry that has been around for aaaages.

Buying a great soft toy teddy bear isn't memorable. Buying a great soft toy teddy bear that you made is far more memorable and worth talking about. Lisa is no doubt going to talk about that experience for a long time to come!

There's now a whole backstory that goes with her teddy bear.

What about other industries then? Can this be replicated in other places to create joyous memorable experiences? Not in the world of mass production that we have today but what if you were take a mass produced product and make it personal?

I think that's where we're heading. Products are so easy to buy these days. We have so much choice. The ones that will stand out are where we can add our own personal experience and we'll pay more for it too. I know Lisa did...

Imagine being involved in the process of building your own car - we're part way there with picking options. What about custom making your own smartphone case? What about a restaurant where you get guided to make your own dinner or dessert?

I like the idea of crafting joyous experiences for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment