You and I will never get it all done.
It's human nature.
Even though I know that, there's no stopping me from trying. Today I spent a good part of the afternoon feeling stink about how much I had accomplished. In fact, I had produced some pretty great results over the last week but that all doesn't matter when I'm beating myself up.
I was "overwhelmed". I've just taken on some new responsibilities and I wasn't responsible in the way I took things on.
Ever notice those times when we say yes to things we know not to say yes to?
That's why we get overwhelmed and then we get resentful and justified. It's just a lot easier to say 'no' in the beginning and be responsible. In fact, it's a much more powerful way of dealing with life.
People respect knowing up front rather than being let down when you don't complete it.
In saying that, don't go around avoiding being overwhelmed. That experience comes part and parcel with growing and taking on life. I just know my access to not having my brain exploding everywhere is getting in communication with people and saying what I will and will not do and by when.
If you're like me and been feeling a bit overwhelmed, think about who you need to talk to be responsible with what you've promised. Communicate first. Action later. Don't do what I do and just try and push your way through it. You'll end up wanting to punch someone in the face.
No comments:
Post a Comment